As the Reopening Task Force, with members of the SCS staff, parents, and administration, prepares for reopening the school district, we must remain flexible in our planning. While we have developed a plan to resume classes in September (see below), it is possible that our district will participate in any combination of: in-person learning in the classrooms, virtual learning at home, or a hybrid combination of each that will encompass varied learning styles during the next year. Guidance from local, state, and federal governments, as well as coordination with other regional districts, will have direct influence on what the school year will look like. It is also important to take into consideration the needs of SCS students and their families.
Schoharie Central School District is planning to offer in-person, socially distant instruction for students in grades K-12. Families who wish to have their students attend school remotely must notify the District if they intend to engage in fully virtual learning by the date of August 14, 2020. Any changes in regards to virtual instruction, or in-person instruction, may only be made at the end of each marking period to ensure continuity of instruction, with the exception of a period of medically recommended tutoring. It is important to note that the District plan can be superseded by Schoharie County or NYS Guidance to move to a virtual model based on the current pandemic.
The plan outlined here is for the reopening of schools in the Schoharie Central School District for the 2020-21 school year, following the building closure related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Grades K-8 will be in-person everyday. Grades 9 and 11 will be in person for two days in a row and then virtual for two days in a row. Grades 10 and 12 will be virtual for two days in a row and then in-person for two days in a row.
- Where necessary to support social distancing, class sizes have been reduced.
- Transportation will be provided by building (K-5 and 6-12) while maintaining social distancing.
- The 6-12 school day will be 7:50 a.m. to 1:38 p.m. and will have first pickup and drop off.
- The K-5 school day will be 9 a.m. to 2:55 p.m. and will have the second pickup and drop off.
- Masks will be required for all staff and students (mask breaks will be built into the day).
- Virtual instruction will be provided to any family who requests it (on a quarterly basis). Please notify the district by Friday, August 14, 2020.
- There will be no extracurricular activities, extra help (Period 10), or late buses. Athletics have been postponed through Sept. 21, 2020.