Student Records information
In accordance with federal and state laws and regulations regarding the maintenance of student records, the Schoharie Board of Education recognizes the legal requirement to protect the confidentiality of student records. The Superintendent of Schools shall ensure that the procedures for the confidentiality of student records shall be consistent with federal and state law pursuant to the authority of the Commissioner of Education. It is the intent of the Schoharie Central School District to limit the disclosure of information contained in a student’s education records except by prior consent of the student’s parent(s) or guardian(s) or the eligible student, unless otherwise provided by law.
Statement of Rights
Parent(s) or guardian(s) and eligible students have the following rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA):
- The right to inspect and review the student’s record
- The right to be provided, on request, with a copy of all or part of the student’s education record
- The right to exercise a limited control over other people’s access to the student’s education record
- The right to designate a representative who will inspect, review, or copy such records
- The right to request and receive from the district a reasonable explanation of information contained in the education record of the student
- The right to seek to correct the student’s education record, at a hearing if necessary
- The right to report violations of FERPA to the Department of Education
- The right to be informed about FERPA rights
All rights and protections held by a student’s parent(s) or guardian(s) under FERPA shall vest with the student when he or she reaches the age of 18, or enrolls in a post-secondary school. For purposes of federal law, the student shall then become an “eligible student.” Additionally, on application of the parent(s) or guardian(s), a school record shall be issued promptly to a minor who presents a certificate of physical fitness and meets the specified age requirement.